EXERCISE 1: Use the correct size of verbs in brackets.
Bạn đang xem: it is ages since alan visited his parents
1. In all the world, there (be) __________ only 14 mountains that (reach) __________above 8,000 meters.
2. He sometimes (come) __________ to tát see his parents.
3. When I (come) __________, she (leave) __________for Dalat ten minutes ago.
4. My grandfather never (fly) __________ in an airplane, and he has no intention of ever doing ví.
5. We just (decide) __________ that we (undertake) ____________ the job.
6. He told bu that he (take) __________ a trip to tát California the following week.
7. I knew that this road (be) __________ too narrow.
8. Right now I (attend) __________ class. Yesterday at this time I (attend) __________class.
9. Tomorrow I'm going to tát leave for home page. When I (arrive) __________at the airport, Mary (wait) __________ for bu.
10. Margaret was born in 1950. By last year, she (live) __________on this earth for 55 years .
11. The traffic was very heavy. By the time I (get) __________to Mary's buổi tiệc nhỏ, everyone already (arrive) __________
12. I will graduate in June. I (see) __________ you in July. By the time I (see) __________ you , I (graduate) __________.
13. I (visit) __________ my uncle's home page regularly when I (be) __________ a child.
14. That book (be) __________ on the table for weeks. You (not read) __________ it yet ?
15. David (wash) __________ his hands. He just (repair) __________ the TV mix.
16. You (be) __________here before? Yes, I (spend) __________ my holidays here last year.
17. We never (meet) __________ him. We don't know what he (look) __________ lượt thích.
18. The xế hộp (be) __________ ready for him by the time he (come) __________tomorrow.
19. On arriving at home page I (find) __________that she just (leave) __________a few minutes before.
20. When we (arrive) __________ in London tonight, it probably (rain) __________.
21. It (rain) __________ hard. We can't vì thế anything until it (stop) __________
22. Last night we (watch) __________TV when the power (fail) __________.
23. That evening we (stay) __________up to tát talk about the town where he (live) __________for some years.
24. I (sit) __________down for a rest while the shoes (repair) __________.
25. Half way to tát the office Paul (turn) __________round and (go) __________back home page because he (forget) __________to turn the gas off.
26. London (change) __________a lot since we first (come) __________ to tát live here.
27. While we (talk) __________on the phone the children (start) __________fighting and (break) __________a window
28. He used to tát talk to tát us for hours about all the interesting things he (do) __________ in his life.
29. You know she (stand) __________looking at that picture for the last twenty minutes.
30. I (spend) __________ a lot of time travelling since I (get) __________this new job.
31. When we (be) __________ at school we all (study) __________Latin.
32. When I (meet) __________ him , he (work) __________as a waiter for a year.
33. After he (finish) __________ breakfast he (sit) __________down to tát write some letters.
34. She (have) __________a hard life, but she's always smiling.
35. I think Jim (be) __________ out of town.
EXERCISE 4: Choose the correct sentence among A, B, C or D which has the same meaning as the given one.
1. Eight years ago we started writing to tát each other.
A. We have rarely written to tát each other for eight years.
B. Eight years is a long time for us to tát write to tát each other.
C. We wrote to tát each other eight years ago.
D. We have been writing to tát each other for eight years.
2. The boy was ví lazy that he couldn't stay up late to tát learn his lessons.
A. The boy was lazy enough not to tát stay up late to tát learn his lessons.
B. The boy was too lazy to tát stay up late to tát learn his lessons.
Xem thêm: khi co2 chiem 0 03 the tich khong khi
C. The boy was lazy enough but he stayed up late to tát learn his lessons.
D. The boy was lazy enough to tát stay up late to tát learn his lessons.
3. My father is tired of seeing any violent films.
A. My father hasn't seen a violent film.
B. My father has enjoyed all the violent films he has ever seen.
C. My father is worried about missing the next violent film.
D. My father never wants to tát see another violent film.
4. As soon as he waved his hand, she turned away.
A. He saw her turn away and he waved his hand.
B. No sooner had he waved his hand than vãn she turned away.
C. She turned away because he waved his hand too early.
D. Although she turned away, he waved his hand.
5. John wishes he had remembered to tát send Mary a Christmas thẻ.
A. John regrets not to tát send Mary a Christmas thẻ.
B. John regrets forgetting not to tát send Mary a Christmas thẻ.
C. John regrets not remembering sending Mary a Christmas thẻ.
D. John regrets forgetting to tát send Mary a Christmas thẻ.
6. My father hasn't smoked cigarettes for a month.
A. It's a month since my father last smoked cigarettes.
B. It's a month ago that my father smoked cigarettes.
C. It's a month that my father hasn't smoked cigarettes.
D. It's a cigarette that my father smoked a month ago.
7. Having finished their work, the workers expected to tát be paid.
A. The workers expected to tát be paid because they had finished their work.
B. Having their work finishing, the workers expected to tát be paid.
C. Having expected to tát be paid, the workers finished their work.
D. Having been finished their work, the workers expected to tát be paid.
8. Mr. Brown bought this xế hộp five years ago.
A. Mr. Brown started to tát buy this xế hộp for five years.
B. It has been five years when Mr. Brown has bought this xế hộp.
C. Mr. Brown has had this xế hộp for five years .
D. It is five years ago since Mr. Brown has bought this xế hộp.
9. John used to tát write home page once a week when he was abroad.
A. John doesn't write home page once a week any longer.
B. John enjoyed being written home page every week when he was abroad.
C. John never forgot to tát write a weekly letter home page when he was abroad.
D. When he was abroad he remembered to tát write home page every week.
10. I haven't enjoyed myself ví much for years.
A. It's years since I enjoyed myself ví much.
B. It's years since I have enjoyed myself ví much.
C. It was years since I had enjoyed myself ví much.
D. It has been years since I have enjoyed myself ví much.
Xem thêm: cach lam gao lut rang